Domain 7: Cultural CompetencyDates: December 5, 7, 12, 15 2022 + January 2, 2023
Times: 8:30AM - 4:30PM
Expectations: All course run from 8:30 to 4:30 for 5 dates; expectation is that each student attend all portions of the course & are present at all times; via audio & video within the virtual course room.
RTEC & Muskie asks that all students plan their time accordingly & be aware of this commitment prior to registering for any MHRT/C domains.
Provide timely relevant services that are respectful of the culture of the consumer, their family and community
- Describe how various contexts of culture, group, and family membership impact an individual’s beliefs and behavior and their behavioral health care needs and interventions.
- Describe the importance of being culturally sensitive and responsive with populations that originate from a culture different than your own.
- Use respectful and effective communication with consumers from a variety of cultural and social backgrounds and life stages.
- Develop culturally sensitive treatment plans that are responsive to cultural contexts, family and group memberships, and the particular life stage of the consumer.
- Demonstrate how to employ interpreter services for non‐English speaking and hearing impaired consumers in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Identify and refer consumer to pertinent support resources in the community that facilitate consumer access and recovery within the context of social, cultural, family, and other group memberships.
- Demonstrate cultural humility and self‐reflection, including acknowledgement of the limitations of one’s own cultural perspective.